Group Leader, National Institutes of Biomedical Innovation, Health and Nutrition
Guest professor, Graduate School of Frontier BioSchiences, Osaka University
Guest professor, Graduate School of Pharmaceutical Sciences, Osaka University
1. Understanding molecular networks by integration of omics-data
2. Development of methodology to understand molecular actions (e.g. epigenetic regulation) as a system
Project Research Scientist
1. Specificity and non-specificity in protein-protein and protein-small molecule interactions
2. Evolution of protein function and structure
Project Research Scientist
1. Understanding mechanisms of molecular interactions, especially protein-protein, protein-RNA and protein-small ligand interactions
2. Development of machine-learning based methods to predict such
1. Biological data integration, databases
2. Data processing
3. Data visualization
4. Pipeline analysis
5. System biology
1. Network-based functional annotation for target discovery.
2. Biological data integration for enhanced function annotation of genes and genomes.
3. Evolution of protein repertoire and function.
1. Chemoinformatics & Chemogenomics for drug discovery research
2. Computational systems chemical biology & modelling perturbation of
3. Novel protocols for virtual screening and mode of action analysis
Previous research: Neuropharmacology of histamine in anxiety and sleep deprivation.
Future plans: Understanding the concepts of Bioinformatics and using the available bioinformatics resources in combination with medical background to contribute in the field of interdisciplinary research.
Favorite proverb: To learn something, you need to try it, and you have to sacrifice for it
I worked at a pharmaceutical company for 30 years and joined to this team.
My research interest: To identify the disease responsible genes from many candidate genes for common disease derived from genome sequencing. I want to find out drug targets by analyzing the network of the disease responsible genes.
My hobby: Go (Igo)
My current objectives are to learn basic of bioinformatics and to proceed the current project properly.
I had studied in the field of analytical chemistry for 4 years and joined this laboratory. My current research interests are following three topics.
1) Learning basic of bioinformatics
2) Doing simulation for compensating analytical results
3) System biology
Samia Haseeb Khan
I am an aspiring disease-biologist in Bioinformatics with a focus on :
1. Structural analysis of protein-protein complexes.
2. Exploring genotoxicity via xenobiotics.
I am through a Catholic college whose motto is The International Lady.
My motto is “Love the life you live. Live the life you love.”
Visiting Scientists and Collaborative Research Scientists
1. The Exploratory research of biomarkers in immune-disorders, especially exosomes
2. The stress response in the cells, especially in aging process
3. Systems biology, network biology, integration of –omics data for whole body systems
I am interested in developing statistical, machine learning and physics based algorithms to predict biomolecular interactions from sequence.
This includes protein-DNA, protein-RNA, protein-protein and other ligand interactions. My current interest is in genome-wide interactions and integrated approaches.
I am also interested in deciphereing regulatory dynamics of immune
system at a molecular level and trying to discover and decipher unknown
regulatory events in macrophages.
understanding of protein-protein and protein-nucleic acid interactions
Collaborative Research Scientist
1. Molecular recognition by proteins
2. Understanding, prediction and design of protein structures and functions
3. Structure, dynamics and function of membrane proteins
4. Rare diseases and orphan drugs
Johan T. Nystrom-Persson